LANGKAWI, Nov 15: The bodies of 12 more victims from the tragic boat capsize near the Malaysia-Thailand maritime border were transported to Sultanah Bahiyah Hospital (HSB) in Alor Setar on Saturday morning for post-mortem procedures.
Langkawi district police chief ACP Khairul Azhar Nuruddin confirmed that the latest group of victims consists of 10 men, one boy, and one girl.
According to him, 12 bodies had earlier been sent to HSB on Tuesday, followed by another four on Friday afternoon (Nov 14).
“Post-mortems for all previously sent bodies have already been completed. The 12 bodies brought in today will undergo autopsies today and tomorrow,” he told reporters.
With the latest transfers, no bodies related to the tragedy remain at Sultanah Maliha Hospital (HSM) in Langkawi.
ACP Khairul Azhar added that authorities are expected to meet with the state Islamic religious department on Sunday to determine the next steps, including burial arrangements for the victims.
Meanwhile, he said the 14 survivors believed to be illegal immigrants are still being held in police custody pending further investigations.
Earlier this morning, the bodies were moved from HSM in a police truck and sent to the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) jetty in Bukit Malut at around 7.20am. From there, they were transported by the Marine Police to Kuala Perlis before being taken to HSB.
To date, 28 victims believed to be members of the Rohingya community have been confirmed dead, while 14 others survived after their boat, carrying an estimated 70 undocumented migrants, capsized in rough waters along the Malaysia-Thailand border earlier this week.