TEHRAN: Iran’s deputy foreign minister for legal and international affairs has firmly rejected any suggestion of surrender, declaring that the Islamic Republic remains united and fully prepared to confront any future military aggression.
Kazem Gharibabadi made the remarks in response to recent comments by US President Donald Trump regarding what Washington described as a “temporary” pause in attacks on Iran to allow room for diplomacy.
“The United States says it has temporarily stopped the attacks on Iran to give negotiations a chance but at the same time speaks of readiness for a massive offensive at any moment. This means calling a ‘threat’ a ‘peace opportunity'” Gharibabadi said.
“Iran stands united and decisively ready to confront any military aggression. For us, surrender has no meaning; either we win, or we become martyrs,” he added.
The Iranian diplomat also quoted the words of Martyr Rajab Beigi, saying, “We are a great nation; record our name in history. Among all colours we have chosen red, and among all deaths we have chosen martyrdom.”
The latest statement comes amid continuing tensions following the conflict involving Iran, the United States and Israel earlier this year.
Iran has accused Washington and Tel Aviv of launching an unprovoked military offensive on February 28, targeting military installations, nuclear facilities and civilian infrastructure, including schools and hospitals.
Tehran responded with multiple retaliatory attacks under what it called “Operation True Promise 4,” launching waves of strikes against its adversaries.
A ceasefire reportedly brokered by Pakistan has been in effect since early April, although tensions remain high due to an ongoing reported US naval blockade of Iranian ports.
Iranian authorities have repeatedly stated that the Strait of Hormuz will not fully reopen until the blockade is lifted and the conflict reaches a permanent end.
Meanwhile, diplomatic negotiations remain stalled after Washington reportedly rejected Tehran’s counterproposal, which included demands for war compensation, the removal of sanctions and recognition of Iran’s sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz.
Iranian officials continue to insist that any future negotiations must be based on mutual respect and free from threats or coercion.