The powerful Online News portal

China Launches Antitrust Probe Into Online Travel Leader Trip.com

280

SHANGHAI, Jan 14 :  China’s top market watchdog has opened a monopoly investigation into Trip.com Group, the country’s largest online travel services provider, over suspected violations of the Anti-Monopoly Law.

In a brief statement released on Wednesday, the State Administration for Market Regulation (SAMR) said it had launched a formal probe after completing preliminary investigations into the company’s business practices. The regulator did not disclose specific details regarding the alleged conduct under scrutiny.

Trip.com operates a wide range of travel-related services, including airline tickets, railway bookings, and hotel reservations, serving both domestic and international markets. The company acknowledged the investigation and said it would cooperate fully with regulators.

In a statement shared on its official WeChat account, Trip.com said it would actively comply with all regulatory requirements and work alongside industry partners to promote a fair and sustainable market environment. The company also stressed that its daily operations remain unaffected.

The investigation comes as Chinese authorities continue to enforce tighter oversight of major internet platforms. Beijing has previously carried out sweeping regulatory actions against leading technology and e-commerce firms, most notably initiating a high-profile antitrust crackdown on Alibaba Group in late 2020.

Regulators have since signaled their intention to curb market dominance, ensure fair competition, and prevent abusive practices across digital industries.

No timeline has been announced for the conclusion of the investigation.

You might also like