The powerful Online News portal

RM12.4 Million Worth of Frozen Meat Seized in Major Kajang Raid

238

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysian police have seized nearly 170 tonnes of frozen meat products worth an estimated RM12.4 million following a large-scale enforcement operation in Kajang targeting an illegal frozen food syndicate.

The two-day operation, codenamed Ops Taring Chiller”, was carried out on May 14 and 15 by the wildlife crime control bureau/special investigation intelligence (WCB) under Bukit Aman’s Internal Security and Public Order Department.

Authorities raided several locations around Kajang, including warehouses, logistics vehicles and distribution channels believed to be linked to the syndicate’s activities.

Bukit Aman WCB director Comm Datuk Seri Mohd Yusri Hassan Basri said five men were detained during the raids, including one Malaysian and four Myanmar nationals aged between 21 and 43.

According to police, the premises were allegedly used for the illegal storage, sale and distribution of frozen food products in violation of Section 5 of the Animals Act 1953.

Among the items confiscated were 4,840 cartons of frozen pork, 410 cartons of imported frozen chicken wings and 115 cartons of frozen ducks.

In total, authorities seized 167,143.72kg of frozen food products with an estimated market value of RM12.4 million.

Investigators also uncovered multiple other offences during the operation, including immigration violations involving foreign workers without valid work permits and individuals who failed to produce valid travel documents.

Police further detected possible offences related to halal certification and product labelling, including the use of unrecognised halal logos on imported products and the mixing of halal and non-halal items on the same premises.

Comm Mohd Yusri said the business premises were also operating outside the scope permitted under Kajang Municipal Council licensing regulations.

Initial investigations revealed that the company had been operating for approximately four years and was registered with the Companies Commission of Malaysia (SSM) until April 5, 2031.

However, checks showed that the company allegedly lacked a valid licence to conduct frozen food storage or processing operations.

Police believe the frozen meat products were imported from several countries, including China, Brazil and Argentina, before allegedly being smuggled into Peninsular Malaysia through southern entry points.

Authorities are now investigating whether the frozen meat products had been distributed to local hypermarkets and restaurants nationwide.

You might also like