LONDON: British police have charged comedian and actor Russell Brand with two further sex offenses, adding to a growing list of allegations against the controversial public figure.
In a statement released on Tuesday (Dec 23), UK authorities said Brand now faces an additional charge of rape and another charge of sexual assault. The latest allegations involve two women and come months after prosecutors filed five earlier charges in April.
The previous charges relate to four women and include two counts of rape, one count of indecent assault, and two counts of sexual assault.
Brand, who is 50, is scheduled to appear before Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Jan 20 to answer the new charges. Meanwhile, a separate trial concerning the earlier allegations is set to begin at Southwark Crown Court on June 16.
Police said the investigation remains ongoing, with authorities continuing to urge anyone with relevant information to come forward. Brand has previously denied allegations of non-consensual sexual activity.