The powerful Online News portal

Sabah is experiencing worsening floods because of heavy rain

314

Heavy rain that started on March 19 and continued through the night has made the floods in Sabah worse. As of noon on Thursday (March 20), 258 people had to leave their homes and seek shelter in Sandakan, Beluran, Kota Marudu, and Paitan.

Two temporary aid centers (PPS) have taken in 132 people from Sandakan, the hardest-hit area. In Beluran, there are shelters for 92 more people, and in Paitan, there are shelters for three more migrants. Kota Marudu has also started moving people. So far, 31 people have been moved to SMK Bengkongan, and more are being handled at SK Teritipan.

The Sabah Disaster Management Committee says that floodwaters have affected several villages overnight, forcing people to leave their homes and start rescue attempts. As the rain continues to fall, the authorities are still on high alert.

Emergency teams are closely monitoring the situation, according to Edoen Macheal, the chief of the Beluran Fire and Rescue Station. He said that roads are still usable in some places but are dangerous.

“The level of the water in Muanad 1 is still under control, but several villages have reported flash floods.” Response teams have been sent to Kampung Balaban Jaya and Kampung Sungai Nangka to help the people who live there who have been harmed.

He informed The Star that the weather in Beluran remains cloudy, and they are closely monitoring the situation.

New numbers from Wednesday at noon show that 47 people are staying at PPS Balaban Jaya in Beluran and 45 are staying at PPS Kampung Sungai Nangka.

In the meantime, the floods in Kota Marudu are still rising because it has been raining nonstop since yesterday. Both Sungai Bandau and Sungai Bongon have gone above the danger mark. At noon, Sungai Bongon reached 7.60 meters..

Authorities have begun to evacuate the affected households. Currently, 31 people are staying at SMK Bengkongan. A second transit relief center (PPT) has been set up at SK Teritipan, and people who have had to leave their homes are now being recorded.

Three people were evacuated from Kampung Tigaman this morning by the Fire and Rescue Department (JBPM). More people will likely have to be removed as the floodwaters continue to rise.

Additionally, Sandakan has reported three landslides following nonstop rain. The first accident happened on Jalan Cecily, which closed the road for a short time.

The second landslide was reported at Taman Sentosa SD 25 Lorong 5, where debris partially collapsed behind a house.

Another landslide in Kampung Pampang Batu 10 has blocked part of a road so that bigger cars can’t get through. So far, no one has been hurt in any of the events.

Pitas, which experienced severe flooding earlier this year, has now been formally declared a disaster area.

Pitas District Disaster Management Committee Chairman, Asdie @ Mohd Faizal Hussin, confirmed the declaration at 9.45 am today (March 20), but no official evacuee figures have been released yet.

During the second wave of flooding in early March, 806 people from 298 families had to leave their homes in the area.

Sabah Meteorological Department Director Amirzudi Hashim confirmed that a continuous heavy rain warning is in effect until March 21.

He said that the Northeast Monsoon is still going strong and that this year’s rain is expected to be heavier than in previous years.

Authorities are urging residents in low-lying and flood-prone areas to stay alert, avoid traveling through flooded roads, and follow evacuation orders if necessary.

As the floods continue to rise, rescue teams are still ready to go.

You might also like