ANGELES CITY: A Malaysian man from Sabah has been confirmed dead after a building under construction collapsed in Angeles City in the northern Philippines early Sunday, while rescuers continued searching for around 20 people believed trapped under the rubble.
The victim, identified as 65-year-old Mohd Rezal bin Abdullah, was staying at a nearby hotel that was severely affected when the nine-storey building suddenly collapsed at about 3am.
According to Philippine authorities, Mohd Rezal was initially able to communicate with rescuers by phone after becoming trapped beneath part of a hotel wall.
Acting Philippine fire chief Rico Kwan Tiu said rescue teams worked for hours to reach him.
“Unfortunately, when we retrieved him, he was already lifeless,” he said.
Authorities said 26 people have been rescued so far from the disaster site, while emergency personnel continue efforts to locate missing workers feared trapped inside the collapsed structure.
Rescuers were also attempting to save two workers who were still conscious but pinned beneath concrete and metal debris late Sunday.
“We are trying to rescue two workers. They are conscious but trapped underneath,” Kwan Tiu told reporters.
The collapse occurred in Angeles City, around 80 kilometres north of Manila.
City Mayor Carmelo Lazatin said most of the workers inside the building were believed to have been asleep when the structure gave way in the early morning hours.
Videos released by rescue teams showed firefighters cutting through twisted metal bars and slabs of concrete to reach trapped victims. In one clip, rescuers could be heard comforting an injured worker pinned beneath scaffolding and debris.
Officials said records showed the project had been approved as a nine-storey condo-hotel, but investigators discovered a swimming pool was also being built on an apparent 10th floor. The exact cause of the collapse remains under investigation.
Witnesses described hearing a massive crashing sound moments before the building crumbled.
Delivery rider James Bernardo said he had just completed a food delivery nearby when the structure collapsed.
“We thought it was an earthquake, but it turned out the building had collapsed,” he said.
Meanwhile, Malaysia’s Foreign Ministry said the Embassy of Malaysia in Manila is closely coordinating with Philippine authorities following the tragedy.
In a statement, the ministry confirmed that two Malaysians were affected by the incident, with one reported safe while the status of the second victim was initially being verified before authorities later confirmed his death.
The ministry added that efforts are ongoing to contact the next of kin and provide consular assistance to those involved.