The powerful Online News portal

Malaysia Withholds Early Backing for Trump’s Proposed Gaza Peace Board, Says PM

173

BANGI, Jan 23: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim said Malaysia is not prepared to express early support for a proposed “Gaza Peace Board” put forward by United States President Donald Trump, citing the absence of clear and firm guarantees for the Palestinian people.

Anwar said Malaysia is closely monitoring developments but stressed that support would depend on concrete commitments addressing the humanitarian and political realities in Gaza and Palestine.

“We have conveyed our views and are following developments, but it is quite difficult to offer support unless there are genuinely strong and firm guarantees regarding the people of Gaza and Palestine,” he told reporters after Friday prayers at Surau Al Amin, Section 8, Bandar Baru Bangi.

The Prime Minister said key issues remain unresolved, including formal recognition, a complete halt to Israeli military attacks, and the restoration of humanitarian aid to Gaza.

“These matters of recognition, an end to the brutal and barbaric attacks by the Israeli regime, and the resumption of humanitarian assistance have not been carried out. Therefore, it is difficult for us to give early support,” he said.

Anwar reiterated that Malaysia has chosen to adopt a cautious approach toward the proposed peace initiative, noting that the government has yet to receive detailed information on how the board would be established or function.

Previously, the Prime Minister said Malaysia would not rush to endorse the proposal without a clear understanding of its structure, mandate, and safeguards for Palestinian rights.

On Jan 16, Trump announced the formation of the Gaza Peace Board as a central component of the second phase of a broader plan aimed at ending the ongoing conflict in the Palestinian territory.

You might also like