The powerful Online News portal

Israel and Hamas Begin Indirect Talks in Egypt Over Trump’s Gaza Peace Plan

395

Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt | October 7:  Israel and Hamas have begun indirect talks in the Egyptian resort city of Sharm El-Sheikh to discuss a U.S.-brokered peace initiative aimed at ending the war in Gaza. The discussions, described as the most significant since the conflict began two years ago, are centered on implementing the first phase of Donald Trump’s proposed 20-point peace plan.

According to Palestinian and Egyptian officials who spoke to the BBC, the talks are focused on “creating the field conditions” for a large-scale prisoner exchange   the release of all Israeli hostages in return for hundreds of Palestinian detainees.

The negotiations are being facilitated by Egyptian and Qatari mediators, who are holding separate meetings with Israeli and Hamas delegations. U.S. special envoy Steve Witkoff, Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner, and Qatari foreign minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani are among the key participants.

The talks come on the eve of the second anniversary of the Hamas-led attack on southern Israel, on October 7, 2023, which killed about 1,200 people and saw 251 others taken hostage. Since Israel launched its retaliatory campaign, more than 67,000 Palestinians have been killed, according to Gaza’s Hamas-run health ministry.

Trump’s peace plan, agreed upon with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, calls for an immediate cessation of hostilities and the release of 48 hostages, only 20 of whom are believed to still be alive, in exchange for hundreds of Palestinian prisoners.

The plan stipulates that once both sides accept the agreement, full humanitarian aid will be sent into Gaza immediately. It also excludes Hamas from any future governing role in Gaza while keeping open the possibility of a future Palestinian state.

In a statement released Friday, Hamas said it partially accepts the U.S. proposal, agreeing to release all Israeli prisoners “according to the exchange formula contained in President Trump’s proposal,” provided that certain conditions are met.

However, the group has not agreed to key provisions, notably, its disarmament and the complete withdrawal from governance in Gaza. Instead, Hamas proposed transferring Gaza’s administration to a “Palestinian body of independents (technocrats)” backed by Arab and Islamic nations.

Netanyahu, meanwhile, reiterated his opposition to the creation of a Palestinian state, saying, “It’s not written in the agreement. We said we would strongly oppose a Palestinian state.”

The plan has drawn cautious optimism from world leaders. The Palestinian Authority called Trump’s effort “sincere and determined,” while Iran, a longtimebacker of Hamas, surprisingly signaled its support for the peace initiative.

European and Arab leaders have also welcomed the talks, viewing them as a rare opportunity to end the bloodshed that has devastated Gaza and destabilized the region.

Trump, writing on social media, urged both sides to “move fast,” saying he had been told the first phase of the plan, the hostage release, could be completed this week.

Despite the peace efforts, Israeli bombardment continued in parts of Gaza on Monday.
According to Mahmoud Basal, spokesman for Gaza’s civil defense, no aid trucks have entered Gaza City in four weeks. “There are still bodies we cannot retrieve from areas under Israeli control,” he said.

Hundreds of thousands have fled to designated “humanitarian areas” in southern Gaza, though many remain trapped in the north. Israel’s defense minister warned that anyone staying in combat zones would be treated as “terrorists or supporters of terror.”

The Hamas-run health ministry reported that 21 Palestinians were killed and 96 injured in the last 24 hours. Independent verification remains difficult, as international journalists have been barred from entering Gaza since the war began.

Diplomatic observers say the Sharm El-Sheikh talks may determine whether a viable path toward ending the Gaza war is finally within reach. If successful, the Trump peace plan could mark a major turning point, potentially reshaping the political and security landscape of the Middle East after two years of relentless bloodshed.

You might also like